We’re bringing the world to you this spring through virtual internships and online courses. Gain a global perspective, get a jump start on your career, and expand your professional network.
USAC’s goal is to offer a variety of flexible program options to fit every students needs. That’s why we have the following available for study abroad this spring.
- In-person Spring 2021 study abroad programs across our 52 locations
- Accelerated Spring 2021 programs that will run 90 days or less
- Winter/January 2021 in-person programs
- Virtual internships and online courses through the Global Perspectives program
Today we’re focusing on our virtual opportunities for students who aren’t able to study abroad in person due to commitment, finances, or border closures.
Benefits of USAC Online Global Perspectives Program
Participating in international courses and virtual internships from home may sound strange at first, but stick with us here. Learning about other cultures and widening your global perspectives, regardless of the learning environment, will still come in handy in a job interview and working in a diverse workplace, right? Plus, participating in these opportunities could result in a discount towards a future USAC program!
Students who complete a USAC Global Perspectives Program during the 2020-2021 academic year are eligible for a $500 program fee credit towards a future semester Specialty Program abroad or $300 program fee credit towards a future summer Specialty Program abroad.
Here are just a few of the benefits of taking an online course or participating in a virtual internship with USAC:
- A cost-effective way to gain international experience
- You’ll earn academic credit for the courses you take
- Professors are based in different countries, allowing for a unique multicultural perspective in your chosen field
- Enroll in courses from different disciplines that allow you to compare and contrast across academic fields and form a truly global perspective
- The opportunity to work with international professionals in your field will expose you to industry trends, different perspectives, and global issues that you likely wouldn’t experience at home, shaping you into a global citizen in and out of the office.
- Develop an appreciation for the workplace culture of another country.
- Be introduced to a wide network of professionals for future job and personal opportunities.
- Gain the ability to communicate across different environments and cultures, flexibility, independence, and the skills to work in a remote environment.
How Does the USAC Online Global Perspectives Program Work?
Now that we know the benefits of these opportunities, let’s dive into the courses you can take, internships you can participate in, and how to make it happen!
USAC Online Courses
Online courses are taught internationally by USAC faculty located at one of our Specialty Program sites in Europe, Asia, Latin America, and Africa. Offerings include courses in
- Cultural Studies
- Race & Identity
- Health & Wellness
- International Affairs
The Global Perspectives program is designed with flexibility in mind. Academic pathways include Global Health, Entrepreneurship, Language, and Culture and Society. You may choose to take one course or six courses, mix and match between language and electives, or focus entirely within a single academic pathway. You may even choose to combine a virtual internship with online courses – it’s entirely up to you. Read our FAQ on online courses.
- Are at least 16 years old at the time of application
- Have a college or university grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale. High school students may apply with a minimum high school GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale.
- Meet the academic pre-requisites (if any) of their desired course
Applications for Spring 2021 Online Courses are live. The application deadline is December 1, 2020.
- Apply online like any other program
- Some home universities will require approval in order for you to take online courses with USAC. USAC’s enrollment department will be in contact with your home university as part of the application process.
- Once you are accepted into the program, we require a $500 confirmation deposit that is non-refundable but will be applied towards the price of your course.
- $985 per course, every course is billed separately
USAC Virtual Internships
In our exciting and new Virtual Internships program, explore your future career interests by working online with businesses and organizations that are based at our Specialty Program locations around the world.
Full semester and 8-week placements are possible; Full semester internships begin mid-January and run through mid-May. 8-week internships begin mid-March and run through mid-May.
Internship placements are in the following fields:
- Digital marketing and social media management
- Event planning
- Electrical/Control Engineering
- Social welfare/Social services
- English language instruction
- Computer science
- Graphic design/3-D modeling
- Don’t see your field? Reach out and ask us about new opportunities!
Internships can be taken alongside online courses. Participate in a virtual internship AND online course and receive a $100 discount. Read our FAQ on Virtual Internships.
You can earn three credits during your internship and a minimum of 120 hours. These internships will be arranged by USAC Specialty Program Resident Directors with local organizations and businesses.
We want to make sure that your internship provides intercultural learning objectives so we’ll be incorporating a 15-hour online internship seminar into the virtual internship program to complement your placement experience.
- Are at least 18 years old at the time of application
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Will have sophomore standing or higher at the time of the internship
- A personal interview is required.
Applications for Spring 2021 Virtual Internships are live. The application deadline is December 1, 2020 for mid-January placement and February 1, 2021 for mid-March placement
- Complete the USAC Virtual Internship online application form.
- Receive preliminary approval notification via email along with login instructions for your USAC Student Gateway account.
- Login to your USAC Student Gateway Account and submit your unofficial transcripts, resume and cover letter to complete your application.
- Partake in a prescreening interview to determine the best placement options.
- $1,390 Program Fee
Career and Culture Workshops
Global Perspective participants from all online courses and virtual internships can also choose to join our resident directors and staff in a series of fun and interactive virtual workshops. Workshop offerings include:
- Enhancing your LinkedIn
- Italian cooking
- Virtual Cycling Tour
- Level up your Elevator Speech
- Practical Tips for Interviewing
- Chinese calligraphy
- And more!
Let’s Go Global!
For world explorers and travelers like us (that includes you), it’s hard to not be able to venture abroad. (Yes, we feel your pain.) So, until the borders open up, take advantage of these opportunities to participate in unique courses, further your academic and professional skills, and virtually experience the world this summer!