Times they are a changing! Actually, at this exact moment, it feels like time is standing still. And it exists inside our homes in our most comfortable sweats with weird animal documentaries and the question of “what’s next?”
Well, we can’t speak to every aspect of life, but at USAC we’ve been thinking a lot about what the future of study abroad looks like, and what we can do now to continue to offer global experiences to students right from their couch (or bed).
Nothing compares to physically going abroad, but since you can’t go explore the world this summer, we’re bringing the world to you through online study abroad courses and virtual internships in USAC’s new Online Global Perspectives Program, available for Summer 2020.
Benefits of USAC Online Global Perspectives Program
Participating in international courses and virtual internships from home may sound strange at first, but stick with us here. Learning about other cultures and widening your global perspectives, regardless of the learning environment, will still come in handy in a job interview and working in a diverse workplace, right? Plus, participating in these opportunities could result in a discount towards a future USAC program!
Here are just a few of the benefits of taking an online course or participating in a virtual internship with USAC this summer:
- A cost-effective way to gain international experience
- You’ll earn academic credit for the courses you take
- Professors are based in different countries, allowing for a unique multicultural perspective in your chosen field
- Enroll in courses from different disciplines that allow you to compare and contrast across academic fields and form a truly global perspective
- Earn 135 hours worth of a global internship
- Gain professional work experience
- Learn more about a future career field
- Develop an appreciation for the workplace culture of another country
- Gain experience working remotely, a growing trend in society
How Does the USAC Online Global Perspectives Program Work?
Now that we know the benefits of these opportunities, let’s dive into the courses you can take, internships you can participate in, and how to make it happen!
USAC Online Courses
Online courses are taught internationally by USAC faculty located across 14 different Specialty Program sites in Europe, Asia and Latin America.
Offerings include some of our most popular courses in:
- Business and communications
- Health and nutrition
- Language, literature, and the arts
- International and cultural studies
You can earn three or six academic credits through USAC’s online courses. They can be added to your academic load at your current university. See a full list of courses available here.
- June 15-July 25
- 2.0 GPA minimum
- Meet the academic pre-requisites (if any) of the desired course(s)
- At least 18 years old at the time of application
- Apply online like any other program
- The application fee and confirmation deposit are not required. You will pay the course fee in full prior to courses starting in order to gain access.
- Home university approval is not required, but you are advised to consult your home university regarding credit transfer
- Application Deadline: May 25 (late applications considered through June 8)
- $985 per course
USAC Virtual Internships
In our exciting and new Virtual Internships program, explore your future career interests by working online with businesses and organizations that are based at our Specialty Program locations around the world.
Internship placements are in the following fields:
- Digital marketing and social media management
- Event planning
- Social welfare/social services
- English language instruction
- Learn more about internship opportunities here
You can earn three credits during your internship and a minimum of 135 hours. These internships will be arranged by USAC Specialty Program Resident Directors with local organizations and businesses.
We want to make sure that your internship provides intercultural learning objectives so we’ll be incorporating a 15-hour online internship seminar into the virtual internship program to complement your placement experience.
- June 1-August 7
- 3.0 GPA minimum
- Sophomore standing or higher
- At least 18 years old at time of application and currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program
- Interview required
- Complete the USAC Virtual Internship online application form.
- Receive preliminary approval notification via email along with login instructions for your USAC Student Gateway account.
- Login to your USAC Student Gateway Account and submit your unofficial transcripts and Virtual Internship placement form.
- Submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application Closes: June 15 – since internships can begin at any point after June 1 and placements are made on a rolling basis, we will continue to place students as long as we have opportunities available.
- $1,390 Program Fee
Let’s Go Global!
For world explorers and travelers like us (that includes you), it’s hard to not be able to venture abroad. (Yes, we feel your pain.) So, until the borders open up, take advantage of these opportunities to participate in unique courses, further your academic and professional skills, and virtually experience the world this summer!