This summer, you can experience two USAC locations during one summer session when you spend eight weeks studying abroad in Uruguay AND Cuba for a comparative Latin studies program.
- Ideal for any student, and great for students interested in health, gender studies and Spanish language
- Learn the dances and flavors of each region through dance and cuisine courses
- Have on-site staff support throughout the entire 8 weeks
- Participate in four included field trips to Palacio Legislativo in Uruguay, Las Terrazos Eco Community, Santa Maria del Mar Beach, and Revolution Square in Cuba
- Option to participate in tours to Iguazu Falls and Buenos Aires
- Choose to live in a homestay in both locations
- Experience Uruguay’s vibrant, progressive and thriving culture and contrast it with Cuba’s political and historical complexities, evolution and stunning natural beauty
- Participate in an internship during the five-week Montevideo session
Spend Five Weeks in Montevideo, Uruguay
You’ll begin this Latin studies program in Montevideo, Uruguay where you’ll spend five weeks exploring the regions vibrant, progressive and thriving culture.
In Montevideo you’ll get to choose between 3-7 credits in business, health, Latin American studies, and/or Spanish courses.
During these fives weeks, you’ll have the option to live with a host family (a great opportunity to fully immerse in the culture and learn the Spanish language), or live in apartments.
The Resident Director, Sebastian, will be on-site the entire five weeks and you’ll have the option to participate in an overnight field trip to Buenos Aires and included field trips to Palacio Legislativo where the Uruguayan parliament meets.
Spend Three Weeks in La Habana, Cuba
Next up, Sebastian will accompany you to La Habana, Cuba for the final three weeks of your Latin studies program.
In Cuba, you’ll get to choose between 3-4 credits in Latin American gender and culture, health, politics and Spanish courses.
During your study abroad in Cuba you’ll live in apartments and have the option to participate in included field trips to Terrazas Eco Community, Santa Maria del Mar Beach, and Revolution Square.
Comparative Studies Sample Course Options
- Business Spanish, Startups and Entrepreneurship, and Health Business Administration
- Dances of Latin America and Latin American Cuisine
- Health and Environment in Latin America
- Spanish Language and Spanish for Medical Professionals
- Latin American Women’s Voices and LGBTQ+ in Latin America
- Cuba Culture, Cuisine, 20th Century Cinema and Dances of Havana and the Caribbean
- Cuban Health Care System, Government and Politics, and Latin American Social Revolutions
- Gender and Globalization and Latin American Women’s Voices
- Spanish Language
Internships and Community Service Options
USAC internships are considered courses that require written work and are taken in addition to the minimum six credit load.
Internships are available during the five-week session in Montevideo at the following locations:
Proyecto Colibri: Work with children from vulnerable neighborhoods in Montevideo. Through recreational activities, local children and young volunteers from around the world create a socio-cultural exchange.
Mides-ASSE: Students will find activities related to prevention and healthcare in ASSE centers and public spaces, as well as recreational, expressive activities in waiting rooms.
Social Lab: Work with a network of problem solvers in the world supporting sustainable and scalable ideas of entrepreneurship.
On-Site Staff Support
Sebastian Bombi, the Resident Director for Uruguay and Cuba will be on-site the entire eight weeks of the program. He’ll even fly with you from Uruguay to Cuba.
Sebastian is a native of Uruguay and has worked with USAC since 2003.
$7,460* includes homestay in Uruguay and a $300 combination program discount.
*Program fees, prior to the applied discount, are $3,980 for the Montevideo session and $3,780 for the La Habana session, and are paid separately.
Deadline to Apply
Apply for this exciting new program by April 15, 2020