If you’ve been planning your study abroad for a while, you might remember our program in Khon Kaen, Thailand. Well, we’re excited to announce that the program has gotten a facelift and has transitioned to a Partnership Program for 2022 and beyond! What does this mean for interested students? Keep on reading to learn more.
What Is A Partnership Program?
In order to meet the needs of as many students as possible, USAC offers multiple program models with different benefits. As a Partnership Program, USAC Khon Kaen is an exchange-based program with Khon Kaen University (KKU). Students will work closely with international office and staff at KKU who run the program. Students will have access to campus facilities and will take courses with international and local students. Additionally, students will receive a transcript directly from KKU.
Partnership Programs are designed with full cultural immersion in mind. As a Partnership Program student, you will be taking courses, living, attending field trips and extracurricular activities, and exploring Thailand alongside local and international students, so you’re guaranteed to make local friends and learn about Thai culture first-hand. Keep in mind that Partnership Programs tend to require a lot of independence and initiative, making them perfect for students with a go-getter attitude.
Why Khon Kaen?
You’re probably wondering why we’d suggest Khon Kaen as an alternative it’s older USAC Thailand sibling, USAC Chiang Mai. If you know us, you know that we love our non-traditional study abroad locations. Khon Kaen offers the best of life in Thailand without the price tag of a tourist destination. Trust us when we tell you that this hidden gem has a lot to offer, such as:
- An authentic, immersive experience off the beaten path and away from tourist areas, which leads to deeper cultural immersion and successful language learning.
- Life in a city with a very low cost of living and tuition that cost less than the average semester at a U.S. university. That means you can put those dollars towards exciting things like cultural activities or travel, or put it right back in your pocket.
- Access to outdoor space, including mountains and parks, for a breath of fresh air. We know city life has its perks, but there’s nothing wrong with enjoying the great outdoors, too!
- Close proximity to Bangkok and Chiang Mai, to dive deeper into Thai culture and history across the country, as well as neighboring countries like Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam.
- The opportunity to study at, Khon Kaen University, the top-ranking university in Thailand, where you will earn credits towards your degree.
What Can I Study?
One of the best aspects of our Khon Kaen program is Khon Kaen University. The KKU campus is located 1.5 miles from the city center, so you’ll never be far from the action.
Through the Khon Kaen University International College (KKUIC), USAC students can choose from courses in business, communications, tourism, political science, international affairs, Thai language/culture, and more. Courses are taught in English, but you will be surrounded by diverse student population which will result in a deeper understanding of the Thai language and a more holistic view on your area of study.
Recent courses include (but are not limited to):
- Global Business
- Business Strategy
- International Business Collaboration
- Business Law
- International Marketing
- Strategic Marketing Management
- Global Marketing Management
- Basic Marketing Concept
- International Affairs
- International Law
- World Societies
- Thailand’s Foreign Policy
- Tourism Management
- Tourism Destinations Planning and Development
- Tourist Behavior
- Sustainable Tourism Management
How Can I Immerse In The Culture?
Regardless of where you study abroad, we want to make sure you have plenty of incredible opportunities to learn about and immerse in the local culture. As a student at KKU, USAC students can get involved with campus life by participating in student clubs, sports, and an abundance of immersion activities. The campus organizes volunteer projects, cultural activities like silk weaving workshops and Muay Thai classes, and more.
Additionally, the International College understands how important exploration within and outside of Thailand is to its international students. To facilitate educational travel, KKUIC organizes field trips to destinations such as Vietnam, Cambodia, China, and Japan.
What Else Do I Need To Know?
Applications for our 2022/23 Khon Kaen program are now open. Keep in mind that this program runs on a different schedule than U.S. semesters and is available for Semester 1 (Jun. 2022 – Nov. 2022) or Semester 1 & 2 (Jun. 2022 – Apr. 2023). The deadline to apply is April 1.