In collaboration with the University of the Basque Country (Universidad del País Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea), USAC announces the fifth annual International Short Story Contest in memory of Dr. Félix Menchacatorre. All students currently participating on the USAC programs in Spain are welcome to apply. Details follow below.
[dt_divider style=”thin” /]
Félix Menchacatorre, one of the founding fathers of USAC and professor of the UPV/EHU, died on August 1, 2008 of a heart attack. It was the only time his heart failed him.
The University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), in collaboration with the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) is organizing the Fifth International University Short Story Contest in honor of Félix Menchacatorre according to the following guidelines:
- Eligibility: students officially registered in any of the USAC programs in Spain during the Spring Semester of 2014, members of P.A.S. (Personal Auxiliar o de Servicios) or of P.D.I. (Personal Docente e Investigador) of the University of the Basque Country UPV/EHU, or students officially registered in the UPV/EHU during the 2013-2014 academic year. Previous winners of the contest are not eligible.
- Submission format: The topic is free. It is mandatory to name your short story. The literary value of the language will be taken into special consideration. The entry cannot exceed 2000 characters; Times New Roman 12, double-spaced is the recommended format.
- Story language: Entries can be written in Spanish, Basque, or English. The short stories may be written in any one of these three languages, regardless of the nationality of the author. Each entry will compete with others written in the same language. Contestants can only submit one short story in only one language.
- The short story must be original and unpublished. It cannot have won any other literary contest or prize.
- Entries must be submitted by April 16, 2014. Entries postmarked after that date will not be accepted.
- There will be a panel of judges for each of the three languages of the contest, made up of prominent professors of USAC and/or the UPV/EHU. On the panel of judges for the entries in English there will also be an outstanding former USAC student. The members of the three panels will interpret the contest rules with flexibility. They will resolve freely and irrevocably any situations which have not been covered in the guidelines. Their decisions may not be appealed.
- Submission instructions: The short stories that are written in Spanish and in Basque should be printed and four copies submitted. Three copies of the entries written in English should be submitted. Entries should be sent by certified mail or similar to the following address:Escuela Universitaria de Estudios Empresariales – UPV/EHU
University Studies Abroad Consortium—USAC
(Concurso de Microrrelatos)
c/o Juan L. de la Cruz Ramos
c/ Elcano, 21
The short stories written in English should also be sent by email to email@example.com with “Concurso de Microrrelatos” written in the subject line.
- All entries must include the first and last names of the author, DNI or passport number, mailing address, email address, phone number and the name of the USAC program or the Center of the University of the Basque Country in which you are studying or associated.
- There will be one prize of five hundred US dollars granted for the winning short story in each of the languages of the contest (Spanish, Basque and English). The prize will be delivered by a bank transfer. The panel of judges may declare there to be no winner in any of the language categories.
- The winners of the contest will be made public during the first fifteen days of May 2014. The results will be published on the web page of the UPV/EHU (http:// www.ehu.es, in the section “Relaciones Internacionales,” under the link for “USAC”) before May 16th, 2014. The winners will also be notified personally.
- The short stories that are chosen will be published on the above-mentioned web page and the other entries will be destroyed.
- The authors of the short stories will relinquish copyright privileges to the organization for the maximum period permitted by law.
- Participation in the “Fifth International University Short Story Contest in honor of Félix Menchacatorre” implies acceptance of these guidelines.